We have discussed a number of Hospital jobs, but none of them are talking about nutritionist. So in this article we are going to give you a brief description about nutritionist. Nutritionist may not be as popular as doctors, but it quite promising as the average salary of a nutritionist or dietician stands at $56,000 per year. At some points nutritionists are well mistaken with dieticians. Actually, both of them are different, nutritionists mostly work with people who are healthy, while dieticians primarily work with people who are ill. Generally, a nutritionist may responsible for many jobs, including:
- Researching how the body’s functions are affected by nutrient supply
- investigating the relationship between genes and nutrients
- studying how diet affects metabolism
- examining the process of nourishment and the association between diet, disease and health
- providing health advice and promoting healthy eating
- advising about special diets
- educating health professionals and the public about nutrition
- working as part of a multidisciplinary team/supporting the work of other health care professionals
If you are interesting to becoming a nutritionist, you need to gain a degree in nutritional science, dietetics, or food science; or alternatively a life sciences degree that incorporates human physiology and biochemistry. But, if you do not have a suitable first degree in nutrition or dietetics, you can apply the job with a postgraduate qualification in nutrition. Moreover, as a nutritionist, you will be placed in national and local government, hospitals, schools, colleges, universities, and food and animal feed manufacturers and retailers.
It is advantageous to register with the nutritionist professional body, the Association for Nutrition. But, you may need to obtain an undergraduate or postgraduate course that is accredited by the association. You also need to obtain specific science A levels. In addition, your experience in a relevant work will be helpful, so don’t hesitate to list your experience if you have once. It will certainly give a useful insight into the profession.