Nowadays, with so many Health Careers, the recruitment becomes very competitive. One of medical jobs that have bright future is medical oncologist. If you are one of the people who are interested in becoming a medical oncologist, you can see more information about Consultant – Paediatrics – Medical Oncology January 2017 in Perth or you can read brief information about medical oncologist below.
Medical oncologists are physicians who specialize in monitoring and nursing patient with cancer. Just like other medical staffs, they aim to help patient get the best possible outcome. Medical oncologists will perform cancer cure, palliation and prolongation of good quality life. This makes clinical research is an important feature of their role. Besides dealing with cancer patient and doing clinical research, a medical oncologist also has several work roles includes:
- Supporting patients and overseeing their care, including their lives after treatment
- Discussing treatment options with patients
- Diagnosing cancers
- Arranging and supervising drug treatment and therapies including the management of any complications that may arise
The activities that a medical oncologist leads usually to treat patients whose cancer has potentially been cured by surgery but for whom further improves their outlook. Moreover, they also treat patients who have localized or metastatic malignancy in need of systematic therapy.
Because of there are so many treatment for cancer patient, medical and clinical oncologists often works in partnership together.
There are some common procedures that a medical oncologist should conduct, such as follows:
- Endocrine therapy
- Biological therapies such as antibodies, small molecules and immunotherapy
Many medical oncologists develop sub-specialty interests in different types of cancers such as:
- Gastrointestinal tract cancers
- Urological cancers
- Cancers of the blood and lymphatic system
- Cancers of the female reproductive system
As a medical oncologist, you can earn a median salary of $243,317. The highest-paid of medical oncologist is $410,325 and the lowest-paid is $109,197.