There are many medical terms for dentist specializations. One of them is prosthodontist which is a dental specialist who deals with the restoration and replacement of teeth. A prosthodontist can perform the teeth replacement in partial or complete teeth loss.
If you are interested to become a prosthodontist, first you must get your licensure as a dentist by attending a dental school. After getting your bachelor degree, you are required to do special training for three years before becoming a licensed prosthodontist. The following passage will tell you more about prosthodontist’s job description and salary outlook.
Besides, performing teeth restoration and replacement, a prosthodontist places implants. In addition, they also fixed or removable appliances (dentures) to restore the normal masticatory function. A prosthodontist also works to improve the patient’s esthetic.
However, their main job is to diagnose, plan the treatment for the rehabilitation and maintenance of the normal function. Then, place the appliances using biocompatible substitutes (prosthesis). In detail, the healthcare jobs of prosthodontist include:
- Place veneers onto teeth in order to conceal defects.
- Use bonding technology on the surface of the teeth in order to change tooth shape or to close gaps.
- Design and fabricate dental prostheses, or supervise dental technicians and laboratory bench workers who construct the devices.
- Measure and take impressions of patients’ jaws and teeth in order to determine the shape and size of dental prostheses, using face bows, dental articulators, recording devices, and other materials.
- Replace missing teeth and associated oral structures with permanent fixtures, such as crowns and bridges, or removable fixtures, such as dentures.
The annual salary of a prosthodontist can differ. It depends on some factors, such as whether the doctors work in a private setting or not. Since dentist who works in a private setting will likely get higher paid. In Australia, a prosthodontist can expect a yearly salary of around AU$200,000. But it can also vary depends on experience, certification and training.