Medical secretary is a great hospital job for those who like to work in a variety of environments. They usually work in complementary health centers, hospitals, prisons and schools. This job is also available on full time and part time. Therefore, you can choose part time job if you like a flexible working hour. But, you can also choose full time job if you like working on standard office hours, Monday to Friday. However, you need to prepare for working on weekends or working in shifts.
As a medical secretary, you will have to deal with lots of administrative stuffs. They include:
- Managing incoming and outgoing mail
- Becoming medical staff’s personal assistant
- Answering phone calls and arranging appointments
- Writing letters or recording medical notes
- Ensuring medical samples are labelled properly
- Filing and typing up reports
- Providing administrative assistance with medical research
This job will lead you into bigger opportunities, such as a senior medical secretary or even office or practice manager. So, make sure that you have learnt the ropes. In this way, you can move on to a bigger responsibility.
Like any other hospital jobs, it is also required some studying and qualifications for this role. Most employers will look for at least four GCSEs (A-C grades, including English). But above all, strong secretarial skill is what this job needs. Moreover, understanding medical jargon and processes will be also needed, so you need to take specialist training to master this. AMSPAR run a variety of courses including:
- The Level 2 Diploma in Medical Administration
- The Level 3 Diploma for Medical Secretaries
- The Level 3 Certificate in Medical Administration
- The Level 3 Certificate in Medical Terminology
The median salary of medical secretary may be different depends on location and experience. In the United States, a medical secretary will earn $38,133 as a median annual salary, with a range between $33,987-$43,072. While in Australia, medical secretaries can take home AU$44,869-AU$67,715 as their annual salary.