Radiation therapist generally works to treat patient with cancer. Using x-rays, they can locate tumors and develop treatment plans within the guidelines set by a supervising radiologist and others on the cancer patient’s oncologic team. If you are interested to choose radiation therapist as your medical jobs, there are some things that you should know.
Some important qualities are needed are such as below:
- Detail oriented
You need to be more careful when exposing patient to radiation, as the correct amount is important.
- Interpersonal Skills
Since radiation therapist will work closely with patients, so it is important to have an ability that can make people feel comfortable while interacting with you.
- Physical Stamina
Standing on your feet for long periods is part of your everyday works. In fact, you may need to lift and move patients who need assistance.
- Technical Skills
Becoming familiar with computers and large pieces of technological equipment is a must for you will need operating many radiation devices.
As it is stated before, a radiation therapist treats cancerous tumors with a radiated light. Therefore, you need to take-care the safety of your patients, such as observing and documenting any reactions to treatment, updating charts and answering any radiology related questions a patient might have. In more detail, radiation therapist jobs include:
- Explain treatment plans to the patient and answer questions about treatment
- Examine machines to make sure they are safe and working properly
- Follow safety procedures to protect the patient and themselves from overexposure to radiation
- Check computer programs to make sure the machine will give the correct dose of radiation to the appropriate area of the patient’s body
- X ray the patient to determine the exact location of the area requiring treatment
- Operate the machine to treat the patient with radiation
- Keep detailed records of treatment
- Monitor the patient to check for unusual reactions to the treatment